Fork me on GitHub

Performance improvements

Anyone who has been watching the git log would notice a small amount of work has been done recently in an attempt to improve the performance of the game engine.

One change which will affect the Linux and MXE builds (but not the Windows ones) is some changes to the default optimisation settings. We've enabled gcc's setting -O2 as well as -ffast-math. This doesn't appear to have degraded the quality at all but it did improve speed significantly. You can read my notes on the profile data in the log of commit 6733e747 if you are interested.

I also enabled ARMv7 for the Android builds, which requires a device with a hardware floating-point unit. Sorry, that will eliminate the older and low-end Android phones, but these cannot play the game very well anyway.

Some other changes include a rejig of some of the entity rendering code. This has resulted in further improvements to the speed. Expect to see further improvements down the line.

Also on a side note, we now have Android weekly builds. Enjoy!

Post a comment

Leave the following field blank, it is an anti-spam field.

Email address: