New build and dev server
Today I signed up a cheap VPS which is to become the new Chaotic Rage build and dev server. We might also host a game server or two eventually as well.
What this means is that once the configuration is complete, we'll be able to offer weekly unstable builds of the game as well as additional tools and testing. I've already got the Linux tarball builds working on a cron and I'll hopefully have the Windows (cross compiler) and Android builds soon.
Once the weekly builds are all operational I'll post again with details on where you can download them.
PPA for Ubuntu now available
Over the weekend, Magnus spent some time making a Debian package for Chaotic Rage. This is now working correctly and can be installed easily using the Ubuntu PPA system.
This is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
For 14.04 LTS (Trusty), add these lines to your sources.list:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chaotic-rage/chaoticrage/ubuntu trusty main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chaotic-rage/chaoticrage/ubuntu trusty main
For 13.10 (Saucy) add these lines:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chaotic-rage/chaoticrage/ubuntu saucy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chaotic-rage/chaoticrage/ubuntu saucy main
You can then install using:
apt-get install chaoticrage
Chaotic Rage 1.8 is out
Chaotic Rage 1.8 is now available! This release brings many new features.
Before I discuss the changes, I'd like to thank the three contributors who made this release possible.
Igor Živković (igzivkov) provided a couble of patches, Enjgine has been very vocal with the bugtracker as well as providing artwork, and our newest project member, Magnus Espersson (esper) has provided more than 70 commits towards this release. Thank you!
This is another big release. Over about two months we did 278 commits which is exactly double the 139 commits in 1.7! This is really quite incredible, and only possible through the additional assistance I receved throughout the development of this release.
Most of the changes in this release are bug fixes. A huge nuumber of memory leaks, NULL-pointer dereferences, and other issues have been fixed. A lot of this work was completed by esper. There were also various small build improvements and many many fixes to lint errors found by tools such as cppcheck.
New features include basic internationalizaion (i18n) support, although this is still not really usable yet. We changed all of the font rendering to use UTF-8 and to use a font which supports non-ascii characters. Bullet physics was upgraded to 2.82 and there were also various related performance improvements. A number of small usability imrpvements have been added. We've added a help screen (F1) whist ingame, as well as in-game camera angle changing. Some networking bugs have been fixed too.
Graphically, we've now got a suite of new maps which look heaps better. Shaddowing works properly in a lot more cases now as well. Maps gained support for multiple heightmaps, as well as no heightmaps at all, such as the caves map. A lot of visual bugs have been fixed, and the game looks heaps better in this release. We also changed the minimum version of OpenGL which is required from 3.1 to 3.0.
A lot of the scriptiong code got an overhaul. There is still some improvements needed here, but it's heaps better already. We're now using hte excellent LuaBridge library for a lot of the Lua interface code. This allows class objects to be passed back-and-forth between C++ and Lua, so Lua code can now manipulate the game world in many new ways. There is even a new gametype which uses these new features to implement a basic map builder. Use the 'M' key to open the map creation dialog.
I think that's everything. Wow, what a release! Quick, go download it now!
New team member, map editing, i18n support
Well I haven't posted for a while, but a quick look at the git logs will show plenty of activity almost every day.
You may also notice a new face in the logs - Magnus Espersson (esper) has recently joined the project. He's using it as a lerning excersie for C++ and is spending most of his time cleaning up code as well as bug fixing and the occasional small feature. It's great to have some assistance with this game and I really appreceiate the effort he has been putting in and his valuable contributions to the project.
There have been heaps of changes recently, but through all of that there have been two new big things. Firstly we've now got a basic in-game map editor. It doesn't do the 3D stuff, only the entity placing. More features to come there.
We've also now got some basic internationalization (i18n) support, including full support for multibyte characters. I'm hoping to get some translations soon.
There has also been tons of little changes and heaps of bugfixes, but I'll talk about that in the release blog post for 1.8, which I'm hoping to do next weekend (14th/15th).